Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Downward Momentum and Predatory Instinct of the Sixth Grade

The Thai school year breaks for summer in about a month, and teaching momentum is not so much grinding to a halt as it is coasting to a gentle stop.

Kru Kiat is normally one of my favorite Thai teachers. Although our conversations are limited by my meager command of the Thai language she is always polite, punctual, and commands respect. She is also one of the few Thai teachers I have seen that is willing to exert the effort required to control my P-6 class.

The students in p-6 are amongst the oldest and biggest in the school, and seem to believe this grants them special immunity from normal school rules. They can easily transition from a normal class of students into a rioting mob at the first sign of teacher weakness.

Today Kru Kiat casually entered her P-6 math class 10 minutes late. She sat down, opened the book and started talking at the students as they completed their assignments. I stayed in the classroom and wasted time on the internet while pretending to do work.

Ten minutes into class her cell phone rang and she stepped outside to take the call. I watched on from my desk as the students quickly began flagrantly copying each others work. A few of the boys got out of their chairs and began wondering around. The mob consciousness was probing for weakness.

Kru Kiat finished her call and returned to the room, and a degree of order was restored, but in a reduced capacity. The students were talking quietly to each other now, and some had simply closed their math books and stopped working altogether.

I looked over at Kru Kiat to gauge her reaction but she was preoccupied with her digital camera. She was clearly scrolling through her memory card looking at pictures. She kept at it for awhile and the students became more rambunctious.

With ten minutes left in the class period, Kru Kiat, still in her chair, was showing her pictures to a small crowd of students. The rest of the class was completely out of control. Jumping around, standing on chairs, and chasing one another about while seemingly taking turns slapping each other as hard as they could on the back. I tried not to look and went out for a coffee.

2 comments:

  1. You're a very good writer. I enjoy reading your posts. Unfortunately, I think this 'teacher behavior' is common (should I dare say that?).

    I remember when one of my coworkers told me she fell asleep during class. I asked her how and she explained that she had laid down on the floor to just rest a bit. . .yeah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lani. I do wonder how much teacher behavior I blame on Thai culture that is actually a more global teacher behavior.

    ReplyDelete