Monday, February 21, 2011

60 students per class? Rural Thailand or Detroit?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/21/detroit-schools-closing_n_826007.html

After teaching a class of 55 grade six students in a Thai "normal program," class, I decided that I never wanted to have one of my own children enrolled in a Thai school. A class that large becomes difficult to manage.

I could have spent time disciplining all the errant students that were not interested, but I would then of had little time to teach, and would have become very unpopular to boot. Ultimately I taught only to those members of the class that were interested in learning English. The others sat, for the most part quietly, and turned off.

It was one of the reasons I left Thailand, or rather, one of the reasons I returned to the west. Adequate education, smallish class sizes, ect. And here we have the same conditions back home in the States. Nice one, Detroit.

3 comments:

  1. Psst, teacher, that's "errant" ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and "would then have had". And "etc." And "Nice one,".

    Well, you *are* blogging as a teacher ..

    ReplyDelete